Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Last Weekend's Lazy Meals

Well, last week I had a great stir-fry planned for yet another meat-free Lenten Friday.  However, after a long week at work, Friday evening came and J & I found ourselves sitting on the couch, exhausted. I kept trying to tell myself (& J) that stir-fry REALLY doesn't take that long, and I could do it. Then J said the magic words: "If you want, we can order a pizza pie--that's fine with me."  BINGO. So a Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust pizza with black olives it was! And some beer! (Lenten Fridays are calorie-free, right?)

Saturday I had much more energy on Saturday and we settled in for the evening to relax with some stir-fry and of course, some wine! Once again, I'll admit when I "cheat"--for the rice, I use the Bird's Eye Steamfresh Brown Rice (in the grocery freezer section). 4-4 1/2 minutes in the microwave, and just right for 2 servings. We'd purchased some new oils and sauces at Trader Joe's recently, so I took the opportunity to try some of that out!

I sauteed the tofu in some sesame oil then added a couple tablespoons of Trader Joe's Pepper Sauce. I added a touch of soy sauce then added the veggies--baby corn, sliced water chestnuts, broccoli and cauliflower. Just that touch of sauce was enough to add a lot of flavor (and a little spice!) to the dish. We opted for a Merlot--Table Leaf (a new brand for us)--which paired very nicely with the pepper sauce on the stir-fry. Delicious!

And just a little extra--tonight I baked cupcakes for the monthly birthday party at work tomorrow. Who doesn't love cupcakes, right?! And I had to add some sprinkles to some for just a little something special. I love to cook and bake, and especially when it helps spread joy to other people! I made full size and mini-cupcakes so those trying to stay on the healthier side of things can have a treat without a lot of guilt. I think I'll be having a mini (with sprinkles!) since I'm still not sure I have made up for that Stuffed Crust pizza on Friday!

Happy cooking (and eating)!

Hopefully up next: My dad's (awesome) Good Friday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment